Home / World News / After 60 years, Hungary beat England again

After 60 years, Hungary beat England again

A second-half penalty from Dominik Szoboszlai has earned Hungary a shock 1-0 win over England in the Nations League.

England suffered their first loss against the Hungarians in 60 years in Budapest on Saturday, as Gareth Southgate’s men were surprisingly second best from the off.

Fortunate to go into the break all square, England were undone as Szoboszlai converted from the penalty spot in the 66th minute after Zsolt Nagy was fouled by Chelsea defender Reece James – a decision which incensed the visiting players.

England pressed as they looked for a leveller, but they could not create that killer chance as their Nations League campaign got off to a disappointing start.

The tests keep coming with Germany being England’s next League A, Group Three opponents on Tuesday. Hungary, meanwhile, will look to make it five wins in six when they face European champions Italy.

Hungary were forced to host England ‘behind closed doors’ after being disciplined by both FIFA and UEFA for repeated racist behaviour from their fans.

Yet the Hungarian FA said last month that children could attend the match at the Puskas Arena.

Under Article 73 of UEFA’s disciplinary regulations, children up to the age of 14 from schools and/or football academies can be invited to a match free of charge, provided they are accompanied by an adult, meaning the stadium could be half full, mostly with children.

Some of those in attendance chose to boo the England players as they took the knee in protest against racial injustice before kick off.

The most unfancied team in their group, Hungary almost gave their youthful support something to shout about early on as Conor Coady was forced to clear off the line after Szoboszlai had bundled the ball towards goal.

England, who handed debuts to West Ham United’s Jarrod Bowen and Leicester City defender James Justin, failed to make any inroads in the first half, as Adam Szalai almost scored a sensational opener from the halfway line.

The visitors improved after the break, with substitute Bukayo Saka seeing an effort well saved, before Hungary took a deserved lead, but the decision from the Portuguese referee was one that did not sit well with England.

James seemed to lead with his arm, which did catch Nagy, who went down very easily. Szoboszlai’s finish from the spot was emphatic.

England committed more forward after falling behind, with Coady glancing a header agonisingly wide from a free kick.

Otherwise, the hosts were comfortable, easily seeing out their victory – a first in 15 attempts since a win at the 1962 World Cup in Chile.

About brandsauthority

Check Also

AGL posts $1 billion loss and stokes fears of uncertainty from price caps

Energy giant AGL has suffered its biggest daily loss on the stock market in nearly …

%d bloggers like this: