Home / World News / Adelaide United put a damper on Perth Glory’s long awaited homecoming party with a 2-1 A-League victory

Adelaide United put a damper on Perth Glory’s long awaited homecoming party with a 2-1 A-League victory

Adelaide United spoiled Perth Glory’s long-awaited homecoming party, 106 days since their last A-League home game, with a 2-1 win at HBF Park.

Glory said they wanted to win all their remaining nine home games – they will now have to lower that expectation.

They should have made more of their early opportunities when they dominated territory in front of The Shed that was moved to seating behind the goal under COVID restrictions.

The expectant fans were silenced in first-half, time added-on when Hiroshi Ibusuki headed home from a corner.

They were kept quiet when a second-half blunder by reserve goalkeeper Cameron Cook allowed Mohamed Toure to double the score.

Glory were given some hope with a 91st minute Bruno Fornaroli penalty but supporters had little else to cheer about.

Glory were often wasteful with misplaced passes and could not find a way to unlock Adelaide.

The result left Glory second from bottom of the ladder while Adelaide broke a four-year drought in Perth and jumped to third.

Glory coach Richard Garcia went into the game with an unchanged side from last Wednesday’s 2-2 draw with Melbourne City.

He is going to have to find a way of scoring goals if they are to have any chance of the finals.

Glory dominated territory early and Nick Fitzgerald had a shot easily dealt with by goalkeeper Joe Gauci who had a scare when he lost his footing with Fornaroli racing in.

Callum Timmins saw a meek effort go past the post and Gauci was left fumbling again as his defence scrambled clear.

At the other end Bernardo Oliveira brought a fine save from Liam Reddy and Ibusuki headed over the bar as Adelaide began to find their rhythm.

Glory butchered their best chance when Fornaroli and Daniel Stynes both miscued after Gauci made a mess of another clearance.

But he did push a great strike from Fornaroli around the post while Reddy was equally athletic to get his left hand to an Ibusuki cracker.

Reddy could do nothing about the Japanese striker’s header from a coroner to give Adelaide the lead and was replaced by Cook at the break, apparently because of a hip injury.

Cook had a disastrous start, letting Toure’s shot slip underneath him for the Reds’ second.

* Wellington Phoenix’s clash with Melbourne City at Leichhardt Oval was postponed on Sunday due to torrential downpours.

About brandsauthority

Check Also

Stokes donates fees to Pakistan flood aid

Ahead of England’s Test series in Pakistan, which starts Thursday, captain Ben Stokes said he …

%d bloggers like this: