* RESULT: England 25 (Billy Vunipola try; Owen Farrell 6 penalties, 1 conversion) bt Australia 17 (Taniela Tupou, Samu Kerevi tries; Noah Lolesio 2 conversions, 1 penalty)
* CROWD: 46,536 at Suncorp Stadium
* QUOTE: “I had a dressing down from my dad last week (after the Perth loss). I had to improve my game today and hopefully he is proud, as is the rest of England. We know that (coach) Eddie (Jones) is a nice guy but a tough guy as well. We had to perform today.” – Billy Vunipola.
* KEY MOMENT: Tom Wright’s sharp break, long kick and one-handed tackle into touch gifted the Wallabies prime position. But they squandered it with a wonky lineout though and a Farrell penalty followed to push England ahead by eight.
* MAN OF THE MATCH: Owen Farrell. The English veteran slotted six penalties and a conversion while controlling the tempo in the No.12 jersey.
* TALKING POINT: Fans and pundits could not see the sense in either Izaia Perese or Marcus Smith’s yellow cards for deliberate knock-downs that came as they attempted to intercept passes.
* KEY STAT: 10 will be where the Wallabies’ charmed winning run at Suncorp Stadium ends, England the first team to beat Australia in Brisbane since they did it last time in 2016.
* INJURIES: Cadeyrn Neville (unknown), Scott Sio (shoulder/pec), Izaia Perese (knee), Jordan Petaia (head), Maro Itoje (throat, head)