A 17-year-old Melbourne boy has been charged with murder in Adelaide’s CBD on Anzac Day.
After 2am on Monday, a 25-year-old Victorian man was found lying with multiple stab wounds at the intersection of North Terrace and George Street.
Police will allege the attackers ran down the victim and when he fell he was stabbed.
He died shortly after officers arrived.
Police intercepted four men at Adelaide Airport with the group attempting to travel to Victoria.
A 17-year-old boy from Meadow Heights was charged with murder, aggravated affray and travelling under a false name.
He did not apply for bail and will appear in the Adelaide Youth Court on Tuesday.
The three others, a 16, 18 and 21-year-old man all from Victoria, were also charged with various offences and refused bail to appear in court on Tuesday.
Police also arrested a further 13 people on Monday – 12 men and a 16-year-old boy.
A vehicle was searched outside the Quest Motel on Franklin Street, with seven people arrested as a result.
Two of the men, 21 and 22, had been sought by police for a stabbing at the Nairobi Lounge last month.
At about 4am a blue Holden sedan was spotted, leading to six more arrests.
Officers found two knives, a machete and cash in the car, with Mr Venditto saying evidence that may be of value to the murder investigation was seized.
Around 5am the 13th and final arrest occurred, when a 19-year-old from Munno Para West was arrested for breach of bail.
All 13 men were refused bail or did not apply for bail and are due to appear in the Adelaide Magistrates Court on Tuesday.
Police believe the murder is linked with gang violence that has emerged in Adelaide in recent months.
SA Police Assistant Commissioner John Venditto said there were a number of issues through the night.
“We understand there was a series of skirmishes and confrontations between groups of men in the CBD,” Mr Venditto said.
“The working theory at the moment is this an incident between two groups who know each other.”
While Mr Venditto did not identify the gangs involved, he said “they’re certainly part of the groups that are fighting”.
“It’s unfortunate it’s come to this, because for some time while there’s been incidents they’ve been fewer and fewer and now it’s erupted to this last night,” he said.
He hoped they had the “right group in custody”, but acknowledged there was always a threat to the community when these incidents occur.
“The threat to the public is there because when they confront each other, look what happens,” Mr Venditto said.
“These are people with no purpose, who react with spontaneous acts of violence.”
SA Police are urging anyone with information, photos or video to come forward.